Scotland TranServ launches anti-litter campaign | Smart Highways Magazine: Industry News

Scotland TranServ launches anti-litter campaign

Share this story...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on FacebookShare on Google+Email this to someonePrint this pageBuffer this pagePin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponShare on Tumblr

Scotland TranServ wants to reduce the amount of litter on the country’s trunk roads and has urged drivers to stop throwing rubbish out of their cars.

As part of its work to manage south west Scotland’s trunk roads network on behalf of Transport Scotland, Scotland TranServ operatives collect the litter that drivers throw out of car windows or leave behind in laybys.

With Glasgow preparing to host the Commonwealth Games as part of the Year of Homecoming, and ahead of the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles, Scotland TranServ is focused on making a good first impression on drivers heading to these key events.

Keith Brown, Minister for Transport, said: “This is the year when Scotland welcomes the world and we want visitors to see the best that we have to offer across this summer’s events.

“Debris at the side of the road can create the wrong impression so I am urging drivers to play their part and dispose of their litter responsibly.

“It costs a huge amount to clear-up our trunk roads and that is money that could be better spent on frontline maintenance.

“We are lucky enough to have world renowned scenery. So we should do our best to keep it that way and think twice about how we dispose of our rubbish.”

Across the south west network last year Scotland TranServ operatives alone collected 28 tonnes of litter, that’s the equivalent weight of nearly four double decker buses. We recycled 78% of that total and sent the remaining 22% to landfill. That’s vital funding which could have been invested to improve Scotland’s roads network.

Malcolm Shanks, Scotland TranServ’s network operations manager, added:

“Across south west Scotland and particularly at the hub of the motorway network around Glasgow, we are amazed at the things that people think it is alright to dump at the side of our roads; ladders, tents, sofas and even the kitchen sink. Last year our teams alone collected 28 tonnes of rubbish along motorway verges and off our trunk roads. We’re playing our part to keep the network clean, and we’re calling on drivers to play theirs.”

Littering from vehicles is a major issue across Scotland. It is estimated that litter costs the Scottish economy over £50m each year in terms of clean up and prevention costs. This is money which could be far better spent on road and safety improvements.

Russell Rennie, Scotland TranServ’s contract director, added:

“We spend a lot of time and money dealing with litter on the motorway network. We want all drivers to play their part in keeping our verges neat and tidy, particularly in this Year of Homecoming and the Commonwealth Games. If they do so, we can use this money to invest it in further improvements to the motorway infrastructure. As we prepare to welcome thousands of visitors to Scotland, it’s important we all keep our country looking in tip-top condition, rather than relying on agencies to tidy up after us. Remember first impressions count.”

 
Comments

No comments yet.