North Somerset Council has chosen Costain and Alun Griffiths to carry out a £15m scheme to improve traffic flows around the town of Weston-super-Mare.
The Weston Package is made up of five projects which are:
- improvements to junction 21 of the M5 to reduce queuing off the motorway and the A370 Somerset Avenue outbound
- improvements to the A370 including dualling Marchfields Way to allow two-way traffic and provide new bus and cycle routes
- new car park and bus interchange at Worle Station plus improved cycle and motorcycle facilities
- new bus links from Queensway to the station
- bus priority along Elmham Way, linking the new housing areas.
Costain will carry out the work at junction 21 and Alun Griffiths will complete the other four schemes.
Both contractors will now complete method statements and risk assessments with construction at all five sites due to get underway from April.
Councillor Elfan Ap Rees, Executive Member for Highways and Transport, said:” I a sure our many commuters will share my delight at reaching this stage, and although it will need careful traffic management to minimise disruption ,the end result should be well worth it”
Funding has come from the Department for Transport and North Somerset Council.